OUTAGE UPDATE: Shelter Island at 70 Percent Power Restoration

Shelter Islanders have 70 percent power restored as of 5 p.m. on Tuesday; main roads are clear across the island.

As of Tuesday evening, Shelter Island has about 70 percent of its power restored as of 5 p.m. on Tuesday after taking a beating from Tropical Storm Irene. The remaining 30 percent includes locations in outlying areas such as Silver Beach, Dering Harbor and Ram Island, said Supervisor Jim Dougherty.

Ram Island residents were urged by fire department officials to evacuate voluntarily on Saturday because the causeway was expected to flood — which it did for a time, but is now passable.

“The main roads are clear, we are now working on clearing subsidiary roads,” Dougherty said.

Dougherty added that the town has waved the fees at the recycling center for the next two weeks and that showers will be open at the in the locker rooms for those with no power. Drinking water is available at the police department.

Crescent and Wades Beach have been reopened to the public, Dougherty said.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »