New 'Green Energy' Park Proposed for Clark's Beach

The beach would still remain open to the public, according to Greenport Village Mayor David Nyce.

Clark's Beach in Greenport could be going green.

Greenport Village Mayor David Nyce said Wednesday that he has proposed a potential project that is in the "very, very preliminary stages."

The plan, he said, wouold be for a green energy park at Clark's Beach that would harness wind, solar, and, possibly, tidal energy.

Nyce said the village board authorized funds for him to prepare presentation materials so that he can pitch the proposal to the board in the next few months.

"At that point," he said, "the board can decide whether we want to move forward."

Should the proposal take shape, Nyce said Clark's Beach would remain accessible to the public.

Another facet of the plan, he said, would be to generate additional treatment at an outfall pipe on the parcel, with a recharge basin that would aim to remove additional nitrogen out of the waste stream.

"There are a whole lot of working parts to the proposal," Nyce said.

Should the board to decide to move forward, grants for the project would be pursued. Nyce said he is currently working with a grant writer and an engineer who works with green energy projects, to create a presentation to the village board.

The green energy park would be built on the approximately nine acres of Clark's Beach -- a rectangular site stretching from the Long Island Sound to County Road 48 -- owned by the Village of Greenport after a parcel of the Soundfront-property was sold to Suffolk County in 2011.

The plan, Nyce said, would benefit vllage residents. "The whole point of this, if it goes through, is that it would make the village energy independent," the mayor said.

Currently, Nyce said 75 percent of the village's energy usage comes from the Niagra Mohawk Power Corp. a hydroelectric plant in Niagra Falls; the remaining 25 percent is purchased on the open market. But that 25 percent, Nyce said, constitutes 80 percent of constituents' energy bill.

"The idea is that we could almost flatline the electric rates and become energy independent," Nyce added.

And, Nyce said, while electric bills wouldn't go down, residents wouldn't see an increase.

"Bills wouldn't go up, almost in perpetuity," he said, because the village would not longer be subject to the volatility of the open market energy rates.

Some funds, Nyce added, would have to be set aside for maintenance.

What do you think about a green energy park at Clark's Beach? Tell us in the comments section.

thatgirl January 31, 2013 at 07:17 PM
It certainly is, considering how vulnerable we to losing power during and after inclement weather events. The ability to generate and store power on a local level, via multiple sources, is key to keeping lives and livelihoods thriving.
John January 31, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Unfortunately that is not what the "energy park" is being designed or intended to do. If you had any idea as to how the Village gets or distributes power to residents you would not make such a uniformed statement. If you we're truly concerned about the prospect of lives or livelihoods thriving in the Incorperated village during a power disruption you would be lobbying this Mayor to make the power plant we already have operational. And if you truly live in the village you should and would be concerned about the astronomical costs associated with such a ill conceived idea.
Frank T February 01, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Put the word "green" in front of anything and people lose the ability to think and reason.
John February 02, 2013 at 02:50 PM
So true, in addition to "Green" add "It's for the children" and "if it saves one life" for people to ok spending money we just don't have and have to raise taxes to repay.
William Swiskey sr February 28, 2013 at 02:33 AM
Riverhead was going to go this route at there Sewer plant until they did A REAL ANAYLISIS. The economics just wasn't there and they get power from LIPA. Also check the web on Falmout, MA what's happening there will open a lot of eyes and it just wasn't air disturbance. The Green Dreamers would be better to do realistic studies instead of relying on people out to sell this dream. Don't use my money for your dreams.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »