We recently posted a quiz . Here are the answers. How did you do? Let us know in the comments.
“Garish colors and materials should be avoided” on what?
- Exterior residential paint
- Commercial storefronts
- Answer: Chapter 280 of Southold's code does not regulate your neighbors who decide to paint their homes neon pink. It does, however, keep signs in town in check.
A noncommercial shellfishing license entitles its holders to how many clams (hard and soft clams, combined) in one day?
- Answer: Nearly everyone underestimated this one. Per chapter 219, section 9, 100 hard clams and 100 soft clams can be gathered by noncommercial shellfish permit holders.
Members of the Southold Police Department must reside in ____ for at least six months prior to appointment.
- Suffolk County
- Southold, Riverhead, Southampton, East Hampton or Shelter Island
- New York State
- Answer: Chapter 51, section 3 states that individuals must live with Suffolk County for 6 months (and New York State for at least a year) before joining the force.
Greenport's Mitchell Park closes at what time?
- 10 p.m.
- 11 p.m.
- 1 a.m.
- Answer: Chapter 101, section 2 of the Greenport Village code says the park closes at midnight.
____ advertisements are regulated within 1,000 feet of a school, day care center or park.
- Fast food
- Answer: Most respondents got this one correct: chapter 249 of Southold's code regulates tobacco advertisements.
In determining whether to issue a special events permit on an application for an event on or utilizing property owned, leased or controlled by the Town, the Town Board of the Town of Southold would NOT consider the following:
- Conflicts with ordinary public use of the land or facilities involved
- The size of the premises in relation to the number of people attending the event
- Whether the applicant has been convicted for failure to comply with the terms of this chapter within the past three years
- The public benefit of the event
- Answer: Chapter 205 regulates special events, and does not require the town to consider the public benefit when considering a permit.
The section of Southold’s town code regulating wind turbines was added in which year?
- Answer: Southold's wind turbine code was adopted in 2007.
Which of the following is NOT true when riding a bicycle in Southold?
- Riders under the age of 14 must wear a helmet at all times.
- Coasting with feet off the pedals is prohibited.
- Riding with children under the age of 5 as a passenger on a bike is not allowed.
- Riders must sound a bell, whistle, or alarm when passing pedestrians.
- Answer: Keep those feet on the pedals because per chapter 88, the only item not regulated out of these four options is a minimum age for wearing a helmet.
"The Village of Greenport Highway Department is hereby authorized to seize and remove any abandoned _____ from any public place within the Village of Greenport without notice..."
- All-terrain vehicle
- Shopping cart
- Answer: Greenport store owners, keep an eye on your stray shopping carts. Per chapter 109 of the Greenport Village code, abandoned carts can be seized.
No person shall raise or keep ducks for personal or family use in excess of _____ without first obtaining written permission of the Town Board.
- Answer: Harkening back to Long Island's history as a nationally recognized duck farming region, in 1943 the town adopted regulations (chapter 83) limiting permit-free duck raising at 100.
On Shelter Island, to qualify as a public landmark tree, a tree would have to be how old (or fit another criteria)?
- Answer: Chapter 117 of Shelter Island's code states: "A protected Town tree which is specifically nominated by the Shelter Island Friends of Trees ("FoT") and as designated by the Town Board, and which meets at least one of the following criteria: the tree is estimated to be at least 50 years old, is of a special size, shape or position relative to other trees of the same species on Shelter Island, is an unusual species or is located on a site highly visible to the public and important to the immediate local community."