Firefighters battled a blaze that broke out at the historic Belle Crest Inn on Shelter Island Wednesday night.
Shelter Island firefighters fought the blaze, and firefighters from Sag Harbor were asked to respond with one engine to stand by at Shelter Island's firehouse, not far from the Belle Crest Inn at 163 North Ferry Road, known also as Route 114, where the fire broke out.
Southold Town police dispatchers confirmed the fire was reported at around 9:30 p.m.
The amount of damage done to the building was not immediately clear.
The Shelter Island Fire Department reportedly called for help from the Greenport Fire Department earlier in the evening.
Located in the historic Shelter Island Heights section, the Belle Crest Inn is described as a "grand old Victorian" inn built as a guesthouse in the early 1900s, according to its website. The sitting area boasts a baby grand piano and the dining room has a fireplace. The rooms are furnished with antiques and collectibles.
Sag Harbor's engine and chiefs arrived on the island by 11:15 p.m.
The South Ferry and North Ferry companies held ferries for the emergency vehicles to respond immediately from North Haven and Greenport.
Check back for more information as it becomes available.