The following information is from the Village of Southampton Police Department:
- On May 6 at approximately 11:44 a.m., a 30-year-old Shirley man was arrested on an outstanding bench warrant for failure to appear. He was processed and released after posting $100 bail.
- On May 7 at approximately 11:42 a.m., a 28-year-old Southampton man was arrested on an outstanding arrest warrant for unlawfully fleeing a police officer in the 3rd degree and reckless driving, both misdemeanors. On April 27 while operating a 2014 Toyota Camry westbound on Hill Street, police attempted to stop the man for a vehicle and traffic violation when he ignored police and continued traveling at a high rate of speed passing other vehicles before police terminated the pursuit do to safety concerns.
- On May 8 at approximately 10:52 a.m., a 21-year-old Southampton man was arrested on an outstanding bench warrant for failure to pay a fine. He paid a fine of $593 and was released.
- On May 9 at approximately 9:40 a.m., the Southampton Village Police received a 911 call from a 21 year old female resident on Breese Lane of a burglar wearing a green ski-mask, wielding a knife in the residence. Upon the arrival of police, the burglar was being pursued on foot northbound on Breese Lane by the victim’s father, who had just returned back home. Police joined in on the foot pursuit that led them into the backyard of another residence on Breese Lane, where other responding officers assisted in apprehending the male intruder. Officers deployed a taser to subdue the man. The burglar, identified as James Edward McErlean Jr., 56, of East Hampton was charged with first degree burglary, first degree attempted robbery, two counts of first degree menacing, second degree assault, third degree criminal possession of a weapon, fourth degree criminal possession of a weapon, second degree obstructing governmental administration, resisting arrest, third degree criminal trespass and possession of burglars' tools. The female victim was taken to Southampton Hospital by the Southampton Village Volunteer Ambulance, where she was treated for facial injuries as well as a laceration to her hand. At arraignment, McErlean was remanded to the Suffolk County jail in Riverside in lieu of no bail.
- On May 9 at approximately 7:02 p.m., a 33-year-old NYC man was arrested and charged with aggravated unlicensed operations in the third degree, a misdemeanor.
- On May 10 at approximately 2:31 a.m., Jeffrey A. Broderick, 35, of NYC, was arrested and charged with DWI, a misdemeanor. Police stopped Broderick while operating a 2014 Ford Fusion while traveling on North Sea Road for multiple vehicle and traffic violations. Upon further investigation, Broderick was arrested, processed and held for morning arraignment.
- On May 11 at approximately 3:11 a.m., Peter R. Carew, 20, of Hampton Bays was arrested and charged with DWI, a misdemeanor. Police stopped Carew while operating a 2011 Ford Escape while traveling northbound on Main Street for operating the vehicle without any headlights on. Upon further investigation, Carew was arrested, processed and held for morning arraignment.
- On May 13 at approximately 12:05 a.m., a 24-year-old Shirley man was arrested on an outstanding bench warrant for failure to pay a fine. He paid a fine of $175 and was released.
The Southampton Village Justice Court issued warrants for the following individuals this week: Frank C. Barnes of Patchogue, Nicholas G. Torrillo of Eastport, Denny B. Chuya of East Hampton, and Luis M. Espinosa of Southampton. These individuals are urged to turn themselves in to police to avoid further police actions. Anyone with knowledge of the whereabouts of any of these individuals can call 283-0056.