With Hurricane Sandy creeping closer to the region, locals on the North Fork have flooded local shops looking for necessities only to find many places are sold out. Patch contacted a range of stores Sunday to see where things such as batteries and water are still available. Managers and store employees were contacted between 10 and 10:30 a.m. Sunday – so what was available then may not be by noon. Call ahead.
Jamesport True Value Hardware - "We have sump pumps, which is pretty pertinent if you live down the street, and propane. We're tapped out of flashlights and low on batteries."
- Open until 3 p.m. Sunday, usually opens at 7 a.m. Monday. "Tomorrow, who knows."
Orlowski Hardware - "We have a few small flashlights left. No generators, no propane, a couple of sump pumps. The batteries are not looking good."
- Open until 2:30 p.m. Sunday, opening 7:30 a.m. Monday.
Waldbaum's - No D batteries available, water limited, though emergency order placed. "I have 15 pallets coming, so there should be plenty," said a store manager.
- Expected to remain open until 9 p.m., though will be open "as long as possible." Opening at 6 a.m. on Monday.
Cutchogue Hardware - "It's been very crazy," said owner Mary Molchan. "It still is." Lamp oil, tarps, matches and rope are left.
- Open until 2 p.m. on Sunday, opening at 8 a.m. Monday.
King Kullen - Management declined to comment.
Southold Ace Hardware - "We're out of pretty much everything. We're getting a delivery tomorrow, not sure of what though." Almost out of D batteries, flashlights are sold out.
- Open until 3 p.m. Sunday, opening at 7 a.m. on Monday.
Southold IGA - "We have plenty of water." D batteries are sold out, and "about a dozen" flashlights remain in stock. Another truck of supplies is expected today.
- Open until 6 p.m. Sunday, and expected to open at 7 a.m. Monday. "Though that's subject to change."
Greenport IGA - "We're pretty limited in what we have left. Water is just about depleted." No batteries. Delivery expected by 6 a.m. tomorrow.
- Open until 6 p.m., though "we're still not too sure" if store will be open that long. Expected to open at 7 a.m. on Monday.