Here is a glimpse at the week ahead for North Forkers. Click here to learn how to upload your own event to our comprehensive calendar.
1. Floyd Memorial Library in Greenport presents teen movie ‘Frankenweenie’ on Monday at 3:30 p.m. The movie is rated PG and admission is free. Young Victor conducts a science experiment to bring his beloved dog Sparky back to life, only to face unintended, sometimes monstrous, consequences. Call 631-477-0660 for more information.
2. You have only one more day to read up on Al Krupski and Sean Walter, candidates for with a special election to fill the seat left vacant by Ed Romaine to take place during normal voting hours, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesday. All normal polling places in the 1st Legislative District will be open.
3. Members of the Southold Town Board will also meet as usual on Tuesday for work session and regular meeting. Click here on the Town’s website for the full agenda.
4. Calling all nature bugs in kindergarten and first grade - Join Connie Gillies of Constant Wonder (www.conniegillies.com) for four fun-filled Sunday winter workshops at the Red House Nature Center at Inlet Pond Park in Greenport. Sign up by Jan. 19 for Jan. 20 and 27 – Feb. 3 and 10. Connie is a New York State Certified teacher, children’s environmental “edu-tainer”, pianist and nature photographer. Using theatre games, interesting nature facts and artifacts, original music and classic picture books, children will explore topics like hibernation, migration, adaptation, camouflage, and animal tracks. Short hikes around and about the Inlet Pond Park and the Red House Nature Center will give children hands-on experience with the topics discussed.
5. On Friday at 6:00 pm, Friday Night Dialogues at the Shelter Island Public Library presents "1st Things First" with special guest, New York State Assemblyman Fred Thiele. Since Jan. 1, Assemblyman Thiele has represented Shelter Island in New York State’s newly-formed lst Assembly District. He will discuss issues directly affecting Shelter Island and Islanders. Assemblyman Thiele sits on a number of New York State Assembly committees, including Ways and Means, Education Election Law, Environmental Conservation, Oversight, Analysis & Investigation, Transportation and the Majority Steering Committee as well as the Assembly’s Aviation Caucus. Admission is Free. Registration requested. Call 631-749-0042.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.