with its eye fixed on Long Island, North Fork residents are already making preparations for what some are saying may be the worst storm in a century.
With only two weekends of summer left, local businesses and organizations are finding themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place, as they debate whether or not to cancel scheduled events and close their stores in anticipation of the coming storm. While are some businesses are playing the waiting game to see if the track or intensity of the storm will change, others have already cancelled, or begun the process of rescheduling planned events.
The Cutchogue Fire Department’s 55th Annual Chicken Barbecue, which will be attended by an estimated 3,000 guests on Saturday, has moved up its dinner to 2 p.m. rain or shine in an attempt to try to beat the foul weather. “We don’t know what’s going to happen yet, but as of right now we’re moving the serving time up,” said a spokesperson at the Fire Department.
Wineries across the North Fork have had mixed reactions to the impending foul weather. ,, and are planning to stay open as of now and will be featuring live music.
According to Facebook page, they will be closing their tasting room for the weekend. “Dinner on the Vines” event, which was scheduled for Saturday Evening, has been postponed until September 24 according to Tasting Room Manager Jerol Rickard. “Foodie Sunday” food and wine pairing with the will be rescheduled as well.
The Annual 10k Run which is scheduled for Sunday morning is still on for now, as the group waits for a more definite storm track to be released. has cancelled its Saturday Stand Up Paddle Yoga class, however will be offering makeup classes over Labor Day Weekend.
As the saying goes “the show must go on,” and this is true for Steve Blier and Young Vocalists who will be performing Saturday night at in Orient. “We have no plans to cancel this event. The singers are all here and we’re ready to go rain or shine,” said Jan Smith.
Likewise, the , which is holding a Saturday evening art opening, has plans to stay open. “It will be up to the artist whether or not to cancel. We hope the rain doesn’t put a damper on things but for right now we’ll be open,” said a spokesperson from the Gallery.