Libraries feature a puppet show and a chess tutorial for kids, Greenport Brewery offers beer and art, and restaurants stay open late with specials on Thursday.
1. , 13900 Route 25 in Mattituck, holds a for kids at 1 p.m. Why not learn the game while school is out? This program is for students who have completed grades 2 through 6. Go to mattlibrary.org or call 631-298-4134.
2. Puppeteer Liz Joyce of Goat on a Boat Puppet Theatre, will perform (30 minutes, all ages) at 2 p.m., followed immediately by a hands-on puppet-making workshop for children at the , 37 North Ferry Road on Shelter Island. Workshop space is limited and preregistration is requested by calling the library at 631-749-0042. Go to shelterislandpubliclibrary.org.
3. Enjoy some great beer and art at , 234 Carpenter Street in Greenport, with an opening reception for at 7 to 9 p.m. George Schneider’s work connects us once again to the reminiscent grit and glamour of pre-1960 hot rods, Betty Page-like pin-up girls, and tattooed barbers. “Wheels on Art” showcases an exclusive Hot Rod Club based in Brooklyn. For more information on George Schneider visit: 10eight79.com, harborbrewing.com or call 631-477-6681.
4. located at the landmark Port of Egypt Marine, hosts freeal fresco every summer Thursday from 6 to 9 p.m., Sunday from 6 to 10 p.m.; and Monday from 5 p.m. in tune with a weekly lobster bake. 62300 Main Road in Southold.Go to alurenorthfork.com or call 631-876-5300.
5. , 326 Front Street in Greenport, is also getting in on the late night specials with from 8 p.m. to midnight. Enjoy a house signature drink or glass of house wine.
Buy one and get one free with a purchase from the bistro bites menu. This week’s specialty drink will be the Orient Point Lavender mojito.
Stuff happens on the North Fork. Be sure to stay with North Fork Patch for our comprehensive events listings: northfork.patch.com/search/events.