After Labor Day, the East End does anything but become a ghost town. This weekend, events like Shelter Island’s annual beach blast, Martha Clara Vineyards’ Oktoberfest and a clam chowder contest from the Montauk Chamber of Commerce should keep you busy no matter if you’re staying local or venturing across the bay.
Click on the links for more information on each event below.
• Shelter Island’s annual happens this Saturday between 3 p.m. and midnight on Wades Beach at 60 South Midway, complete with live music from a sandy stage. This year’s lineup includes New Orleans’ High and Mighty Brass Band, Gene Casey and the Lone Sharks, the Realm, Who Dat Loungers, New Dawn, and the Jet Set Renegades. Home cooked barbecue will be available to all takers. This year's event is to benefits the Island Gift Of Life Foundation. Bring beach blankets and sweaters. Please donate $20 at the doors. Go to www.sibeachblast.com for more information.
• The New Suffolk Waterfront Fund is hosting a day of on Saturday at 5 p.m. at 650 First Street in New Suffolk. Enjoy the NF X NF Art Show while you sip champagne, sample freshly shucked Peconic Pearl oysters and enjoy savory hors d'oeuvres. Renowned shellfish expert, John Holzapfel, will share his knowledge about the much-loved bivalves. Take in the panoramic views of the North and South Forks and the sweet sounds of classical violin and cello to round out a special evening at the New Suffolk Waterfront.
To purchase the $60 tickets in advance, visit www.newsuffolkwaterfront.org or call 631-566-0806. If not sold out, tickets can also be purchased at the door on Saturday.
• The sixth-annual happens Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Charnews Farm at 3005 Youngs Avenue in Southold. The tour is a self-guided visit behind the scenes of 14 locations with extraordinary folks; organic producers of vegetables, wine, herbs, honey, berries and more. The event is sponsored by North Fork Reform Synagogue. For tour details and $25 tickets, go to northforkreformsynagogue.org or call 631-722-5712.
• Enjoy German food, beer, music and wine at for only $10 at Martha Clara Vineyards at the winery’s annual st, which takes place the Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. each day. Enter through the Herrick’s Lane entrance.
• As 17-year-old East Hampton Town lifeguardin the ocean surf last week, her co-workers, instructors, fellow swimmers and high school classmates have rallied toA benefit beach BBQ will be held in Doris' honor at on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. Admission is $20 and other donations are welcome, all which go through the East Hampton Lifeguard Association, according to chief lifeguard John Ryan Jr. Guests at the cookout will have the opportunity to step into a video booth and send their well-wishes with Doris in a personal manner with the help of . 50/50 raffle tickets will be sold, as well as a drawings for numerous prizes. If it rains on Sept. 8, the BBQ will be moved indoors to the high school cafeteria.
• The Montauk Chamber of Commerce will hold its 31st Annual Fall Festival on Saturday, October 6th and Sunday, October 7th “On the Green” in the Center of downtown Montauk. A unique fireworks display by Grucci will take place Saturday night, October 6th at 7PM on Umbrella Beach. These fireworks are generously sponsored by the Atlantic Terrace resort hotel as well as by the Montauk Chamber.
On Saturday the Chamber-sponsored family-friendly festival will kick off at 11:00 am with its Famous Clam Chowder contest. Over 30 local restaurants contribute gallons of their best chowder. Food personality judges will award the best New England and Manhattan chowders. You can judge this contest in the People’s Choice Award. Winners will be announced at 3pm on the Chamber’s Facebook page, tweeted on Twitter, and posted on the website at www.montaukchamber.com.
Both days will include many activities for children, such as a free 30 horse Carousel, inflatable rides, face painting, pumpkin decorating, crab races and more. For adults there will be live music, a farmers market and plant sales, along with raffles, October-fest style food, clams and oysters. Long Islandwines and beer will be available. Live music will be featured on Saturday by Nancy Atlas and the Uncle Susie Band from 2-5 PM.
On Sunday the Festival continues with additional activities under the tent including the Annual Chinese Auction by the Montauk Playhouse. Live Music by the 3 B’s will be featured on Sunday 11-3pm. At the conclusion of the festival, the Cash Catch (a minimum of $15,000 in cash prize money will be awarded) winners will be announced along with the winners of other raffle prizes.
The festival is the major annual fundraiser sponsored by the Montauk Chamber of Commerce. Much of the proceeds are donated to organizations such as, the Montauk Food Pantry, the Montauk Fireworks Sponsored by the Montauk Chamber, and the Frank Cappozola Scholarship Fund as well as other local needs.
A Few Recurring East End Events and Outing Ideas
• Join Everyone down at the Wölffer Estate Vineyard Wine Stand located at 3312 Montauk Highway (just east of the Sagg Main intersection) through the end of October.. Live music is playing from 5pm until the sun sets behind the vineyard. Wines are served by the bottle and by the glass. Cheese and charcuterie plates are available for purchase and outside food is not allowed in.
• Every hosts live music on the elegant covered terrace of Wölffer Estate Vineyard. Located at 139 Sagg Road (just north of Montauk Highway). Wines are served by the bottle or by the glass and cheese and charcuterie plates are available for purchase! No outside food allowed in. There is no cover charge!
• Harbes Farm in Mattituck comes alive in the fall with beginning at 10 a.m. each weekend day. This truly North Fork experience features live music, farm animals, barnyard bounce, ponyrides, tricycle track, goat mountain, singing hayride and educational tour, pig races, lunch and dinner country fresh food, wine tasting, local fruits and vegetables and more.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something