Before Jazz on the Vine kicks in on Feb. 8 to draw the crowds to the North Fork, those looking to generate business at local vineyards still have the challenge of January.
But several are keeping the marketing machine going by offering specials and live entertainment throughout the month — here are a few highlights for this week:
• Starting this Friday from 6 to 9 p.m., a new music series called “Winter Nights with Mark and Mike” kicks off, with Mark and Mike playing all your favorites from the ‘70s to contemporary material at Lieb’s new Oregon Road location in Cutchogue.
• Enjoy a “Wine-Down” Wednesday at aMano in Mattituck, with half-priced bottles of wine with dinner and two-for-one cocktails at the bar from 5 to 7 p.m. every Wednesday.
• The North Fork Tasting Room in Riverhead offers TGIF happy hour every Friday, with live music from 5 to 9 p.m. and happy hour specials from 5 to 7 p.m. Get half-priced gourmet appetizers and $5 pints. A wine special will also be featured.
• Shinn Estate in Mattituck is open late on Fridays with wine, champagne cocktails, cheese, and palm readings by Joan Bernhardt. The event is $8.
• Be a winemaker for a day at a VIP blending session at Sannino Bella Vita Vineyard in Peconic on Saturday. It’s $150 to sign up for this exclusive session for two, you and your guest will have the chance to create your own custom bottle of wine as you learn about life as a vintner. Call 631-734-8282 to reserve your space.
• Ever dreamed of painting a masterpiece? Now, even the "artistically challenged" can create a beautiful work of art with the step-by-step instruction of Katy Berry at “Brushstrokes on Bergen” at Macari Vineyards in Mattituck on Saturday. Bring your friends for a fun night of wine, laughter, and painting. No artistic experience is necessary. Admission is $45.
• Laugh Saturday night away at a wine-and-comedy night at Castello di Borghese at 8 p.m. in Cutchogue. This Saturday features New York City comedian Leah Bonnema. The show is for adults only and costs $15 online here or $20 at the door. Call 631-471-6335.