The located in opened to hockey players and the public on Sunday.
Rink manager Mike Ryan said that two children's hockey teams — one ages 8 and under called the Mites and one 11 and under called the Squirts — had already finished up their first games of the year in the morning before solo skaters began to line up and use the newly layered ice at 11 a.m.
Public skating will remain open until 5:30 p.m., and adult open hockey takes place from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
Ryan said that he and other workers spent many late-night hours making ice for the ice rink's seventh opening day.
"The whole crew has been working extra hard, with the recent setbacks with unseasonably warm weather," he said. "But we took advantage of the cold the last couple of nights and it looks great."
Though this year, Ryan said he's expecting a busy 2011-12 season, which usually ends around the first week of March. Call 631-477-2200 ext. 2 for details or visit greenporthockey.com.
Reminder: The prices changes for the 2011-2012 season are:
- Friday Family nights from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. will cost $7 and includes skate rental. This is up from $5.
- Birthday parties will cost $250 for 12 guests, which is up from $225 from last year.
- Admission for seniors and those under 18 will go to $7 on weekends and holidays. Last year it was $6.
- Skate rentals are now $5 instead of $2.
- Season passes are $80 for adults and $50 for seniors and children under 18. Children enrolled in the hockey program and skate school will pay half-price for a season pass.