It's Columbus Day. The federal holiday celebrate the anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Americas in October 1492. In more modern times, it has become a day for Italian Americans to show pride in their heritage.
While government offices and local schools may be closed to recognize the federal holiday, there is still plenty happening on and near the North Fork.
Here's our list:
- Town of Southold offices: Closed in honor of Columbus Day
- Town of Shelter Island offices: Closed in honor of Columbus Day
- Local school districts: Closed in honor of Columbus Day
- Local libraries: Open, 9:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- U.S. Post Offices: Closed, will not be delivering mail.
Know of any local businesses closed on Columbus Day? Let us know in the comments.